( Implementation details, for the curious, because I like to natter )
All this because the Avery software is shitty and lost three hours of my work because it said it had saved it but hadn't really.
(the single-sentence posts go on plurk, which, like Twitter, is somewhere between a blogging platform and asynchronyous chat client, and thus don't handle crosspost coherently).
Starting a new job next week, at a company that does application security testing. I'm simultaneously excited and terrified, which I think is pretty normal. Been doing lots of sewing and Netflix in the meantime.Stranger Things was excellent and very spooky, TNG is REALLY dated in some respects, but fun to watch in order, and Parks and Recreation continues to be hilarious.
More at some point, probably?
Edge lace for my sleeves - I did this on my embroidery machine, on a poly organza with heavy wash-away stabilizer, and then cut the diamonds out and hand-sewed them on.
After much experimenting, the tricks to using metallic thread without it snapping are to keep tension super-low, let the thread spool out from far away (I have it in a mug about a foot away), and don’t make your stitches too dense.
Haven’t been posting much about cosplay, but I’ve been working on stuff so expect some photos over the next few days.
Tonight’s lesson: sometimes you have to try something, and fail… and try something else, and fail… and then keep trying to get it right. Four iterations of rosettes later, I’m finally happy.
acI’m on the hunt for a new hosting provider - the friend who was hosting my sites previously is unfortunately not able to continue doing so. Which means - moving time! And it’s been ages since I shopped around, so I’d love some recs. I don’t need a ton of bandwidth/server stuff, but I do need to be able to install Perl/PHP modules, stuff like that.
(step 2: actually sit down and write my own application for my cosplay site, because I wasn’t really satisfied with the available CMS solutions already)
Progress work on my jacket for Jade! I drafted the pattern Saturday afternoon, spent Saturday night and most of Sunday dyeing white twill the appropriate shade of dark teal, and then started assembling it yesterday. The front closure on this design is so weird….
Very proud of the dye - it took three rounds and four different colors to finally hit what I wanted, so I think I’m justified in that :T Next up: a million yards of twill bias tape.
Someone should have told me the Vorkosigan novels were actually reasonable lengths - I had been putting them off because I didn’t want to get sucked into more Jacqueline Carey 800-page doorstop monstrositities. But I finished Shards of Honour in like five or six hours on Wednesday, and Barrayar yesterday afternoon.
Unsurprisingly I’m enjoying them immensely *g*