Paako and Zurako WIP - Block-printing with Dye
I am forever playing around with new dye methods, and the current projects are no exception. This time I decided to fiddle with stamping, which I have only ever done with pre-made stamps, on paper. And I knew the linings weren’t going to show much on these kimono, so it seemed like a good place to fiddle with something that wasn’t going to have 100% precision.
The blocks (which I forgot to take photos of, I’ll add some later) were cut out of Speedball’s Speedy-Cut Easy with an exacto. For the cat, I traced a printed out piece of clip-art, and then the strawberry I just sketched out freehand. The ‘ink’ was thickened dye. For the cat, I painted it on to get a nice thin, even layer, and then the strawberry used some scrap upholstry foam as a makeshift ink pad. Overall, I think the foam worked out better (and it was faster), but I discovered the reason stamps have block handles - trying to ink the strawberry result in dye on my fingers and on the edges of the print block, which led to it slipping out of my hand and misprinting a bunch of times.
My steaming technique still needs some work - the strawberries faded some in the innermost area - but I’m getting better at it!
Zurako design painting
I finally bit the bullet and started laying out the designs on these kimono, which is honestly terrifying. Originally Zurako’s was going to be silk embroidery but 1) my embroidery skills are lackluster and 2) I only have three and a half weeks to the con. So I got some Jacquard Lumiere fabric paint, which is still a little stiffer than I’d like, but has a lovely color (this one is Burnt Orange), and set to work. The sleeves are almost done, and I should be able to get the body done tomorrow.
Then I have to do a billion gutta outlines for Paako, dye it, and get the gutta drycleaned….