Cosplay Progress - fancytier Aradia and West Witch
Yaaaay Aradia’s almost done - just need to make wings and the little gear buttons for the cuffs and garter ends. The beading on the shirt turned out… decently (the flash shine makes it kind of hard to see). Boots were some grey Ugg-knockoffs that were $20 on Amazon - I took out the back seam, poked holes with an exacto knife, and then used one of my tapestry needles to thread the charmeuse ‘ribbon’ through. The soles are painted with red Angelus leather paint, which held up well on the sandals I did for D*C
Meanwhile, in Sakizou land: giant bling, giant hat, giant skirt. Making molds of the rhinestones right now so I can make copies in the colors I need, and then I sketched out the underskirt border on one of my muslin panels to get an idea of the size.
God I have so much to do still fffffff
Cosplay WIP - fancytier Aradia
I really wanted to get all the machine-sewing done today, but I spent like half an hour fighting with my serger and then felt too demoralized to stay up late sewing. But I only really have the hood left to sew, as I got through the rest of the shirt. I ended up tweaking some stuff from the original design, mostly because I put on one cap sleeve and remembered why I don’t wear cap sleeves - wide shoulders and big biceps means they’re a pain to fit. So I used the original shirt pattern sleeves, which are more fluttery, but it work for Aradia, I think.
Also, my beading supplies from Fire Mountain Gems showed up today! I got the jacket ALMOST done, except - I forgot the jacket cuffs needed beads, so instead of having a comfortable oversupply, I am about ten beads short, and will have to order more.
Finally, as proof that I haven’t forgotten about it entirely, the skirt muslin for my Sakizou outfit. It’s like seven yards of fabric, it’s kind of ridiculous.
Cosplay WIP - Fancytier Aradia
So! When last we saw this project, it was December 2014, and I had just dyed the trim and shirt fabric. It got put on hold for most of 2015, though I did pick up the red polyester dupioni to replace the poly-wool gabardine that wasn’t red enough. The shorts are a pants pattern I modified myself to make a standard base that fit me (originally from a Vogue men’s suit pattern, iirc), and the bolero is McCall’s M6911 with some mods, primarily in the sleeves. I made the dubious decision to handsew all the trim on the jacket, though I did get a lot of anime watched in the process.
The Time symbol is charmeuse I dyed red - the tone variations are not quite like the original art, but trying to find close tones in appropriate fabric is really hard. Silk-on-silk was not a good choice for my first time doing needleturn hand applique, but it turned out decently well and the line of seed beads (currently on order) will hide any of the flaws and help set it off a bit more from the background.
Super-pleased with how much I got done in two and a half weeks, particularly with finals and holidays!
Cosplay WIP - Dolorosa & fancytier Aradia
I was going to go fabric-shopping and then remembered I have no money right now so I came home and worked on stuff. Finished dyeing the red silk for my shirt for Aradia, which, lined up with the others, is making me even more ‘ehhhhhh’ on the overdyed wool. Guess I’ll do some looking around.
And then I made the tunic and belt for Dolorosa, probably making this costume look easier than it’s going to be by doing all the simple parts first. Tunic was loosely cut out based on a t-shirt that fits me, serged, twin-needle hem, broke one of the needles, had to take out the sleeve hem I’d done and do everything with a wider twin needle….
The belt is a big stretchy loop because I have stretch fabric and I’m tired of having to secure sash-ends in ways that always look lousy. I did manage to sew it into an unending tube and a mobius strip, which is maybe a sign I should pay better attention to orientation.
So I’ve been 3/4ths zombie this week and the only creative things I’ve gotten done is fabric dyeing. This stuff’s for my fancytier Aradia, based on rumminov’s design.
The velvet, lace, and ribbon all started out white, and were dyed with Jaquard’s iDye Natural in Crimson (all the dark red fiber-reactive dyes looked like they pulled really purple).
The light red is a poly-wool gabardine blend I dyed with iDye Poly in Red - it started out pink (underneath the dyed fabric in the first photo). It’s certainly a change, but it’s kind of lacking the color intensity I was hoping for. I’ll see how it looks once I do the shirt fabric and can put all of them together.
(this has kind of been my problem with iDye Poly every time I’ve used it - the saturation is lousy)
I love rumminov’s fancy tier designs and god bless any artist who does outfit breakdown references, seriously
but sometimes I stare at things like this and go ‘but… that’s… that’s not how shirts and hoods work’
'help I'm so confused'
(this is impeding my ability to cut out and dye the fabric that arrived in the mail yesterday)