Paako and Zurako WIP - Block-printing with Dye
I am forever playing around with new dye methods, and the current projects are no exception. This time I decided to fiddle with stamping, which I have only ever done with pre-made stamps, on paper. And I knew the linings weren’t going to show much on these kimono, so it seemed like a good place to fiddle with something that wasn’t going to have 100% precision.
The blocks (which I forgot to take photos of, I’ll add some later) were cut out of Speedball’s Speedy-Cut Easy with an exacto. For the cat, I traced a printed out piece of clip-art, and then the strawberry I just sketched out freehand. The ‘ink’ was thickened dye. For the cat, I painted it on to get a nice thin, even layer, and then the strawberry used some scrap upholstry foam as a makeshift ink pad. Overall, I think the foam worked out better (and it was faster), but I discovered the reason stamps have block handles - trying to ink the strawberry result in dye on my fingers and on the edges of the print block, which led to it slipping out of my hand and misprinting a bunch of times.
My steaming technique still needs some work - the strawberries faded some in the innermost area - but I’m getting better at it!